Starting in Fall 2017, NAGT's GER division is proud to host a series of webinars that address different topics and methods in geoscience education research. We plan to host 1-2 of these each semester. An archive of webinars will be hosted here.
"Careers in Academia: Options with Your GER Background" on April 24th, 2018
Five panelists on the webinar represent a range of academic career options:
- Kelsey Bitting: Associate Director, Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning through Research at Northeastern University
- Briana Ingermann: Education Manager at Fiske Planetarium at the University of Colorado at Boulder
- Dawn Kopacz: Professor of Practice at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Karen Kortz: Professor of Geology at the Community College of Rhode Island
- Eric Riggs: Associate Dean at Texas A&M
- Describe the range of career opportunities in academia, especially those which may be different than the ones that their advisors/supervisors hold
- Explain how their training and experience in Geoscience Education Research can be an asset to academic careers that may not necessarily be focused on GER
- Construct mental models of pathways they might follow from their current graduate studies or early career positions to other careers in academia
Each panelist will give a 4 minute lightning talk, followed by two breakout sessions with 2-3 of the panelists. Participants can rotate between panelists for the two breakout sessions OR spend both breakout sessions with the same panelists. Panelists will be asked to address the following questions as their time permits:
- How and where did you obtain your training and/or experience conducting GER?
- Describe your career pathway – how did you get to the position you hold/held for which you were invited to discuss?
- Describe what an average week on the job in that position is like.
- How has your training and/or experience conducting GER helped you in that position?
- What advice do you have for graduate students and/or early career folks who might be interested in pursuing a position such as the one that you've discussed?
Watch the screencast recording:Webinar Screencast - Academic Career Paths in GER (Quicktime Video 267MB Apr25 18)Webinar Screencast - Academic Career Paths in GER (Quicktime Video 267MB Apr25 18)
Resources shared by panelists and participants (Acrobat (PDF) 337kB Apr26 18)