Undergraduate Field and Laboratory Coordinator - Nanyang Technological Universitypublished Apr 10, 2015 8:27am
Duties and Responsibilities
The Field and Lab Coordinator will play many key roles in developing the major programme at ASE. One primary role will be planning and coordinating undergraduate field courses. This includes an Introductory Field Course for undergraduates who have completed their first year of study in the Environmental Earth Systems Science major programme will take place in Bali, Indonesia, and planning for additioinal additional advanced field courses in Bali and other international locations.
In addition to field course responsibilities, the Field and Laboratory Coordinator will also help build relationships between ASE staff, faculty, and scientists at institutions across Southeast Asia. The Field and Laboratory Coordinator may co-advise and coordinate student research projects, and may maintain their own research programme (up to 15% of appointment) with a focus on opportunities for undergraduate involvement.
When not working on field programmes, the Field and Laboratory Coordinator will work closely with the Undergraduate Programme Director to facilitate the smooth day-to-day operations of undergraduate laboratories, to assist teaching introductory courses, and to train graduate and undergraduate teaching assistants. Other unique roles include managing/curating the rock and mineral collection, setting up and monitoring laboratories for undergraduate courses, and mentoring undergraduate students in courses and research. The Field and Lab Coordinator will also lead procurement for items related to field and laboratory needs.
- Bachelors degree in environmental science, ecology, earth science, environmental social science or a related field, and post-graduate qualification in education OR Masters degree in environmental science, ecology, earth science, environmental social science or a related field with graduate level assistant teaching
- Strong background in field studies related to environmental earth systems science
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to work well with a diverse team in a dynamic working environment
- Strong interest in and aptitude for teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate level
- Proficiency in southeast Asian language(s)
- Ability to oversee multi and interdisciplinary undergraduate research
- Knowledge of or interest in social environmental issues and ability to oversee undergraduate research in that field
ApplicationTo apply, please submit the following materials to: email@example.com
- Cover letter addressing the required experience and preferred qualifications above
- Statement of teaching philosophy/experience
- Statement of field and research experience
- Curriculum vitae
- The names of 3 references who are familiar with your work