NAGT Education and Policy Work
NAGT Position Statements
NAGT has developed position statements on specific issues that affect or are affected by geoscience education. These positions were proposed by the membership and approved by the Council. Issues with current position statements include
- High School Earth Science Instruction
- Teaching Evolution
- Climate Change
- Dual Credit and Concurrent Enrollment
- NAGT Public Policy list alerts members to needs for immediate input on policy issues, and provide news and updates on opportunities to participate in national events.
- NAGT Science Literacy List provides updates on activity related to development of national science standards, frameworks and literacies.
Education and Public Policy Discussion Board
You may also join the discussion about how NAGT can be involved in Education and public policy matters by reading and posting comments to our Policy Discussion Board.
Next Generation Science Standards
During the development of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), NAGT sponsored three events to help members learn about the process and provide feedback on the drafts. The first event took place in July of 2011 and was intended to provide information on the NRC Conceptual Framework for New Science Education Standards. In January 2013, NAGT hosted two more informational events: a webinar on January 22nd and a forum to gather feedback on January 24th.
- "Leave Behind" Sheet for Legislative Visits
NAGT has developed an information sheet (Acrobat (PDF) 2MB Mar14 09) about its interests and involvement in public policy issues for members who conduct Congressional or state legislative visits.
- Critical Needs for the Twenty-First Century: The Role of the Geosciences
This document from the American Geological Institute (AGI), provides a list of seven critical needs followed by national policy actions to help the nation meet these needs.
- Why Earth Science?
This report from AGI lays out why Earth Science is important for study, research and funding. There is also a short video version and the report is also available in Spanish.