Procedure for Approval of NAGT Position StatementsDownload the Procedure for Approval of NAGT Position Statements (Acrobat (PDF) 65kB Nov23 05)
- Any member of NAGT may propose that the Council consider a formal position statement on behalf of NAGT.
- That proposal need not, at this stage, include a draft statement, but should include a brief justification that provides the context for the statement and an explanation as to how this statement aligns with NAGT's mission.
- Such a proposal may be made via any officer of NAGT.
- An email vote suffices only if no member of the Executive Committee objects. Should there be an objection, the drafting committee will be informed and may (1) wait until the next meeting of the Executive Committee for discussion and a vote or (2) proceed with the understanding that there is an objection the proposal may not achieve a positive vote at the next Executive Committee meeting.
- Typically, the drafting committee will consist of at least three members in good standing of NAGT of which one member will be a member of Council and one the author of the proposal (if these are not the same person).
- If the committee does not prepare a draft proposal within six months, the President may consider appointing a new committee or ask the Executive Committee if they wish to withdraw support for this position statement.
- If approved, NAGT members will be so informed via the Newsletter and the position statement will be posted on the NAGT website. The Council may recommend to the Executive Committee additional modes of distribution.
- If Council makes substantive modifications to the draft position statement before approval, it returns the modified statement to the drafting committee for comment before approval. In such cases, Council may authorize the Executive Committee to approve the revised version on its behalf if all substantive modifications are acceptable to the drafting committee.
- If rejected by Council, the statement would have to go back to step 1 for reconsideration.