NAGT Award Committees:
Robert Christman Distinguished Service Award CommitteeThe Executive Committee administers the selection of the Robert Christman Distinguished Service Award to recognize individuals who have provided exceptional service to the Association over a significant period of time.
The service may have been at the national and/or section level. Awardees are selected by the Executive Committee with the concurrence of the Council. The frequency of award presentations is left to the discretion of the Executive Committee.
- Members of the Executive Committee
Neil Miner Award CommitteeThis Committee administers the selection of the recipient of the annual Neil Miner Award for "exceptional contributions to the stimulation of interest in the geosciences".
The Committee is composed of the President of the Association, who serves as Chair, the immediate Past-President; the Secretary/Treasurer; and two members recommended by the Executive Committee. No one may serve as an appointed member for more than two years in succession. The Committee shall select the recipient of the Neil Miner Award.
- Don Duggan-Haas (President, chair)
- Anne Egger (Past-President)
- Aida Awad (Secretary/Treasurer)
- David McConnell (1st Vice-President)
- John Taber (at-large, '16-'19)
James H. Shea Award CommitteeThe James H. Shea award is given annually by the Association for exceptional contributions in the form of writing and/or editing of geoscience materials (broadly construed) that are of interest to the general public and/or teachers of geoscience. It is given only for outstanding work.
The Committee consists of five members, four of whom are appointed by the Executive Committee for staggered four-year terms (one new member is appointed each year for a four-year term. The Editor of the Journal of Geoscience Education is an ex officio, voting member of the committee. The senior member of the Committee (that member who is in the last year of his/her term) serves as the Chair of the Committee. The Committee is responsible for reviewing nominations, selecting the recipient and arranging for appropriate recognition.
- Andy Buddington (chair, '16-'20)
- Anne Egger (JGE Editor, ex officio)
- Karen McNeal (at-large, '16-'20)
- Karin Kirk (at-large, '17-'21)
- Tim Bralower (at-large '18-'22)
Dottie Stout Professional Development Grants Committee
This Committee administers the selection of the recipients of the Dottie Stout Professional Development Grants "in honor of Dottie's outstanding work and lifelong dedication to Earth science education".
- Ben Wolfe (chair, '15-18 & '19-'22)
- David Voorhees ('16-'19)
- Merry Wilson ('16-'19)
- Diana Steller (ex officio)
Field Camp Scholarship CommitteeThis committee reviews the NAGT field camp scholarship applications and selects the scholarship recipients.
- Lydia Fox (chair, ('16-'19)
- Diana Dalbotten ('16-'19)
- Steve Whitmeyer ('15-'18)
USGS/NAGT Cooperative Field Training Program
- Kurtis Burmeister (coordinator, '18-'23)
Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Award CommitteeThis is a Committee to administer the annual Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Awards for "exceptional contributions to the stimulation of interest in the earth sciences at the secondary school level", and for excellence in teaching at the secondary level. Candidates for this award are nominated in each section annually.
Nominations will be made online, monitored by the President of each section who will arrange for the Section Selection Committee. This Committee shall then select the recipient of the Award for the particular section. The presentation of the awards to each section recipient will ordinarily be made at a section meeting and/or before an appropriate audience by one of the section officers. In addition, sections may hold individual state competitions to select OEST State Winners. The Chair of the Outstanding Earth Science Teachers Awards Committee shall see to the preparation of all awards. The Chair is appointed by the Executive Committee. Two other members are recommended by the Executive Committee. Their term of office is two years. The remainder of the Committee consists of one representative from each section which participates in the OEST program. Section Representatives shall be selected by their section and their term of office shall be specified by their section.
- Mike Passow (chair, '17-'20)
- Susan Wolf (Central)
- Steve Lindberg (Eastern)
- Winnie Kortemeier (Far West)
- Wendi Williams (Midcontinent)
- Elizabeth Gordon (New England)
- Suzanne Smaglik (North Central)
- Jodie Harden and Lynda Sanders (Pacific Northwest)
- Frank Forcino (Southeastern)
- Cheryl Manning (Southwest)
- NAGT National Office/Mike Passow (Texas)
NAGT Advocacy Committee
- Mike Phillips , Chair (NAGT Exec Comm, Councilor-at-large)
- Don Duggan-Haas, (NAGT President)
- Frank Granshaw ('18-)
- Tamara Ledley, at large ('18-'20)
- Suzanne Metlay, at large ('18-'21)
- Euan Mitchell, at large ('18-'21)
- Dave Mogk, at large ('18-'20)
- Sherry Oaks, at large ('18-'19)
- David Szymanski , AGI Critical Issues rep ('18-'21)
- Wendy Van Norden, at large ('18-'19)
- Wendi J. W. Williams, NAGT Liaison to AGI Geoscience Policy Advisory Committee ('18-'20)
NAGT Donor Development Committee
- Kathy Ellins ('18-'20)
- Heather Macdonald '18-'20)
- Ian Macgregor ('18-'20)
- Randy Richardson ('18-'20)
- Susan Sullivan ('18-'20)
- David Voorhees ('18-'20)
- NAGT Executive office: Cathy Manduca, Krista Herbstrith
NAGT Professional Development Planning Committee
- Rachel Beane, Bowdoin College (Chair '17-'18, term '13-'19)
- Heather Macdonald, College of William and Mary ('13-'19 )
- Cathy Manduca, SERC, Carleton College, ex officio ('13 - '19)
- Cheryl Manning, Evergreen High School, Colorado ('18-'21)
- Dallas Rhodes, Humboldt State University ('14-'20)
- Barbara Tewksbury, Hamilton College ('13-'19)
- Sean Tvelia, SUNY Suffolk Community College ('18-'21)
- Karen Viskupic, Boise State University ('18-'21)
- Jennifer Wenner, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh ('18-'21)
Teach the Earth Website Committee
Members will serve three-year terms unless they are serving by virtue of their position.
- Councilor-at-large from ExCom - Jen Wenner (Chair) ('16-'21)
- SERC web team member - John McDaris (ex officio)
- SERC technical director - Sean Fox (ex officio)
- Editor of activity review - Kyle Fredrick ('16-'20)
- Service learning and sustainability representative - Sarah Fortner ('18-'21)
- K-12 (especially 9-12) representative - Missy Holzer ('16-'21)
- Informal education representative - Lisa White ('16-'19)
- Undergraduate/Faculty representative - Michele Cooke '(16-'20)
- Educational website expert - Bruce Mason ('16-'19)
Nominating CommitteeThis Committee shall present to the Executive Director a list of nominations to be sent to the membership of the Association. There shall be at least one nomination for President (incumbent Vice-President), Vice-President (incumbent Second Vice-President), Second Vice-President, Secretary/treasurer (every third year), and Councilors-at-Large.
The Committee shall be composed each year of the five most recent available Past-Presidents of the Association, the immediate Past-President serving as Chair. Tenure will begin each year following the Annual Meeting. Should it become necessary to depart from this committee composition because of emergency or other difficulty, the current President of the Association shall make necessary appointments from the membership.
- Anne Egger (chair)
- Randy Richardson
- Jimm Myers
- Aida Awad
- Susan Buhr Sullivan
Investment CommitteeThe Investment Committee is responsible for reviewing the performance of investments and recommending changes to the Executive Committee in accordance with the National Association of Geoscience Teachers endowment policy.
The Committee is composed of a chair and three other members as directed by the Executive Committee. The membership of the Investment Committee will include the Second Vice President and two NAGT at-large members appointed by the Executive Committee to 3-year staggered terms.
- Gene Pearson (chair)
- Randy Richardson ('18-'20)
- David Steer ('18-'21)
- Karen Viskupic (2nd Vice President, ex officio)