This half-day workshop is part of the GSA Short Course 4-Pack. For $55, select any two workshops from the four (add 519A or 519B). Early registration ends on September 23. To sign up for a workshop, use the GSA meeting registration.
519C. Integrating Sustainability into Geoscience CoursesCo-sponsored by NAGT and the Geoscience Education Division of GSA
Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Part of the GSA Short Course 4-Pack
Instructor: David Gosselin, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Sustainability is a central theme for teaching about the environment and requires the integration of perspectives from science, economics, and society. Workshop participants will work to strengthen the teaching of sustainability through the increased integration of geoscience and sustainability education. Participants will share successful strategies and materials for teaching sustainability.
Before you goThere are no special preparations before GSA.
- Icebreaker (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 340kB Oct25 13): Coming Together – Largest to smallest
- Introduction (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.1MB Oct25 13): Why are we here? – Our Goals. Who are you? Why are you here?
- Sustainability Buffet (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 465kB Oct25 13): What's in a Definition?
- Definitions of Sustainability (Microsoft Word 29kB Oct25 13)
- Images of Sustainability (Acrobat (PDF) 463kB Oct25 13)
- What is Sustainability? (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.3MB Oct25 13)
- Design an Integrative Sustainability Assignment (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.4MB Oct25 13)
- Activity handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 17kB Oct25 13)